httpd-users mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <scte...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache under Windows 2003 or Linux ?
Date Sun, 21 Jun 2009 18:26:54 GMT

On Jun 21, 2009, at 5:26 AM, Pierre Labrecque wrote:

> I have to install a web server to run several wikis on it. These
> wikis will be in use for around 150 to 200 users (Technical Support
> wikis for a Help Desk). This web server must be always on, fast,
> etc… I have read some comments on the web that said that it’s a
> “heresy” to run Apache on a Windows 2003 system. But as I’m not
> familiar with Linux (my knowledge

This is not a religion: you should run on whatever you can best
operate and maintain.

> about it is equal to zero), I would like to know if for my needs
> it’s OK to run the web server on a Windows 2003 system. I

Bless you my child, you have been absolved.  Apache runs fine on
Windows, you will even find pre-built binaries of the latest Apache
release on the apache.org download site.

> want a fast server, but as this is just for 150-200 users (this is
> not a Google web site!), may I expect honest performance and
> stability? What I will install is: Windows 2003, latest Apache, PHP,
> MySQl and Mediawiki packages. Nothing else.

Same for PHP and MySQL, you can find Windows downloads for both.  This
would work well if you want to set up a LAMP (or WAMP) based web
application on a platform you know and can support.

Of course, if you want to learn about Linux, setting up an internal
web site would make for an interesting project to learn on the job.

S.

--
Sander Temme
sctemme@apache.org