httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Elmar Krieger" <el...@cmbi.ru.nl>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache suddenly stops serving requests, recv() returns -1/errno=EAGAIN forever
Date Wed, 24 Jun 2009 10:47:26 GMT
Dear Apache users,

I'm forced to write yet another program that downloads HTTP files from an
Apache server, and I'm facing a problem that is new to Google:

First, to ensure that my application stays responsive, I enabled a timeout
with

setsockopt(sockid,SOL_SOCKET,SO_RCVTIMEO....

right after the successful connect().

Things work fine, but every once in a while (especially when downloading
larger files), the recv() call suddenly returns -1, and errno is EAGAIN.

That's still fine, and I would expect that the download continues normally
with the next call to recv(), but unfortunately not:

All subsequent calls to recv() return -1/errno=EAGAIN, and this continues
for an hour, then errno becomes ECONRESET (one hour is the timeout I
configured in Apache).

So the question is: Is this behavior still OK according to TCP/IP, HTTP,
Apache specifications? What can cause Apache to suddenly stop serving
data, and then terminate the connection after an hour? There are no
special entries in Apaches error_log

I found someone with a similar problem at this location:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-users/200705.mbox/%3C009b01c797ca$784675a0$2200a8c0@laptop%3E

My Apache is the one in RHEL 5, Linux 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5 #1 SMP Tue Dec 16
06:45:03 EST 2008 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Clients with the problem are running Linux or MacOSX.

Many thanks in advance for any insight you can provide,

Elmar