httpd-users mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <scte...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] https works, http doesn't
Date Tue, 02 Jun 2009 01:22:19 GMT

On Jun 1, 2009, at 4:57 PM, John Oliver wrote:

>> As you may know, if you don't put any content in /var/www/html, Red
>> Hat will serve the 403 error page because it has configured Directory
>> Listings of /var/www/html to be forbidden.  By striking coincidence,
>> that error page HTML document is dolled up to look like the default
>> "this is a Red Hat box" page you (should) see in your browser.
>
> Yup, but DirectoryIndex (or my manually spoecifying index.html)
> ought to
> take care of that.

In the bare install, there is nothing in /var/www/html, and

Options -Indexes

forbids to serve directory listing.  So you get the 403, which is the
"yay I'm using Red Hat" page.

And it's logged in error_log as a 403.  At log level "error", so your
default catches it.  The fact that you're not seeing that is very,
very weird.

>> So what have you changed to your config?  You HAVE changed things:
>> for
>> starters deflate is not on by default.
>
> ServerTokens OS

No, nothing there that leaps out at me.  What's in conf.d/*.conf?

S.

--
Sander Temme
sctemme@apache.org