httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: httpd is creating large number of shared memory segments.
Date Fri, 26 Jun 2009 14:34:31 GMT
Chandranshu . wrote:
> Hi André
>
> Our server is handling around 20 requests per second. Please note that this
> is not a single site. There are many sites that are hosted on this server.
> As requests to host new site keep coming in, we keep reloading the virtual
> host config through a graceful restart.
>
> Here are my KeepAlive settings:
>    KeepAlive On
>    MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
>    KeepAliveTimeout 15
>
> Unfortunately, I can't answer why the MaxRequestsPerChild was modified as it
> was done by the earlier sysad and there is no documentation left around by
> him. I have been reading up a few articles on tuning the apache performance
> and am planning to change them as per the requirements of the server.
>
> Please let me know if there is any other config/statistics I can provide
> which will help in debugging the issue.

There are 2 things I would do first of all :

1) try to get an idea of the time needed, on average, to process 1
request.  You can get this in the access log, with the parameters
explained here :
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_log_config.html#formats
(%D parameter)
(While you are at it, also add the %k parameter, it will be useful)

2) change the following setting :
KeepAliveTimeout 15
KeepAliveTimeout 2

and look at the results.

Subjectively, I have the impression that the number of Apache processes
(MaxServers 1024), is a total overkill for 20 requests/seconds, unless
your requests take a very long time to be serviced.
But we'll see when there are some numbers.