httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] International chars in domain names + Virtualhosts
Date Mon, 15 Jun 2009 12:35:27 GMT
Rubén Clérigo wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have an apache 2.2 server running on debian with nearly 100
> virtualhosts working without problems. But, I need to host a new name
> which contains an Spanish char (ñ). I have created a virtualhost like
> the rest, but when I try to browse the site y get the fallback
> virtualhost, not the new one. If I change the ServerName in that
> virtualhost to a "standard" one, it works fine.
>
> Has anybody encountered a problem like this one? I know this kind of
> domains do work on other sites (e.g. www.mañana.es) so I would like to
> know how to set up such domains myself.
>
> Thank you in advance.

I have naver tried it myself, but I think you need to use the following
kind of configuration :
<VirtualHost *:80>
   ServerName xn--faltenbgeleisen-berlin-ylc.de

where the above funny way of writing the domain name corresponds to the
"PUNYCODE" encoding of the DNS name.
(Which in this case would be "faltenbügeleisen-berlin.de")

I found the above searching Google for "apache +punycode".
I have not really browsed very deep in the answers.

I think you should also check if the browser which you (or your clients)
are using supports this PUNYCODE properly.  I have seen hints for
instance that IE6 natively does not.