httpd-users mailing list archives

From Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Compiling Apache on windows VC9
Date Sat, 06 Jun 2009 05:11:36 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>> Lester Caine wrote:
>>> PHP have decided that PHP5.3 will be the last version available for
>>> windows on VC6, and that PHP6 will be VC9 only, so is any work being
>>> done on a VC9 version of Apache? This seems to be in line with making
>>> IIS the default on Windows as there are no Apache modules in the VC9
>>> builds :(
>>>
>>> Where is the best place to 'go' to discuss this upcoming problem and try
>>> and add Apache to the PHP builds I'm currently doing privately?
>> As a PHP developer, I suppose you are aware of the corresponding developer
>> forum of httpd?  If not, an email to dev-subscribe@httpd.apache.org should
>> get you there in one piece.
>
> FWIW, asking for 'forward looking' development questions on the users@ list
> is something like asking your stock broker how GE expects to perform in the
> coming quarter ;)

I am basically just a USER of both Apache and PHP (and Firebird) and
have been for some years. SO I had no problem setting a configuration I
can use on both Linux and Windows, but recent 'improvements' in the PHP
camp have resulted in it being impossible to USE PHP on Apache in
Windows ... users are having to get their hands dirty and actually build
their own PHP in order to use the next version of PHP with Apache on
Windows. My own development expertise is with Borland compilers, so the
maze that is M$ VC* is not something that I really want to waste
valuable time on. The potential problem of the PHP roadmap only came
clear this week while I wasted most of it simply trying to get to a
point where I could use Apache/Firebird to test PHP5.3 on windows.
Something which other users have stepped up and plugged for now.

So I don't really want to have to go through yet another learning curve
with Apache, since as yet I've not even managed to do that with PHP, so
as a user I'm asking what the game plan is as it may be that other users
are not aware and are in a better position to become developers than I am :(

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL