httpd-users mailing list archives

From Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] 503 status seems to get cached - how do I disable caching?
Date Wed, 10 Jun 2009 12:09:56 GMT
On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 4:06 AM, André Warnier <aw@ice-sa.com> wrote:
> I have not verified, but intuitively I would tend to think that no HTTP
> caching mechanism (browser, server, mod_cache, proxies, etc..) would ever
> really "cache" error responses, and keep responding the same from some cache
> memory.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/caching.html

# The response must have a HTTP status code of 200, 203, 300, 301 or 410.

This is largely a function 13.4 in the RFC:

   A response received with a status code of 200, 203, 206, 300, 301 or
   410 MAY be stored by a cache and used in reply to a subsequent
   request, subject to the expiration mechanism, unless a cache-control
   directive prohibits caching. However, a cache that does not support
   the Range and Content-Range headers MUST NOT cache 206 (Partial
   Content) responses.

   A response received with any other status code (e.g. status codes 302
   and 307) MUST NOT be returned in a reply to a subsequent request
   unless there are cache-control directives or another header(s) that
   explicitly allow it. For example, these include the following: an
   Expires header (section 14.21); a "max-age", "s-maxage",  "must-
   revalidate", "proxy-revalidate", "public" or "private" cache-control
   directive (section 14.9).

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com