httpd-users mailing list archives

From Matthew Gregory <matthew+apa...@nogsnet.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Close apache console from XP/2003/Vista
Date Thu, 28 May 2009 11:19:06 GMT
Hi All,

This is my first post to this mailing list, I have tried searching for
an answer in the archives and on google with no luck.

Background: We currently have a web server application that we sell
comercially, we are currently rewriting this and have gone down the
ISAPI route. To make things easier for our customers we ship a light
weight installation of Apache so they can easilly evaluate the software
before changing the configuration on thier existing server (IIs/Apache).
We have a config tool, when the user starts the "test server" from this
tool we run apache. It works really well, we use piped logs to keep
eveything on screen and our config tool acts as a debugger for apache so
we get the benefit of windows killing apache if the config tool is
killed etc.

My question is this: how can I gracefully close apache? The docs say to
use "httpd -k stop" but on our target platforms this always tries to
stop the service but we are actually running as a console. There is
mention of using kill on unix but I cannot find a suitable windows
equivilant.

Currently, we create a remote thread in apache's process and call
ExitProcess. This does a semi-clean shutdown but doesn't do things like
clean up the pid file which leads to warnings when we next start the server.

Any help appreciated,
Thanks,
Matt