httpd-users mailing list archives

From Kristof Zelechovski <giecr...@stegny.2a.pl>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Use of NoProxy without a DNS lookup
Date Fri, 29 May 2009 09:42:30 GMT
Hi Dave,
Requiring local applications to use raw IP numbers is rather extreme.  You
should have a DNS running on the LAN; local hosts can be referred to by
name, DNS or no DNS, and your proxy would send these request to nowhere.
IMHO,
Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: David Vaughan [mailto:david.vaughan@satemail.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2009 12:46 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] Use of NoProxy without a DNS lookup

Hi there.

I have an Apache server (2.2.11 running on Windows XP) which acts as a
forward proxy for a small network connected via a slow IP link to a main
proxy server.

The network has an intranet so the NoProxy command is used to prevent
sending these requests to the main proxy.  However this causes Apache to
do a DNS lookup for every request.  After re-reading the documentation I
changed the NoProxy subnet address for a dotted IP address (e.g.
192.168.0.20), but this still causes a DNS lookup.

The proxy section of the config file is:
ProxyRemote * http://my.ipaddress.com:8080
Noproxy 192.168.0.0/16

<Proxy *>
	Order Deny,Allow
	Deny from all
	Allow from 192.168
</Proxy>

What I'd like is for Apache to only process the NoProxy command if the
host name is in a dotted address format - anything else can be sent to
the main proxy server as this will not be on the local intranet.

Any suggestions gratefully received

Thanks
Dave Vaughan