httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Are apache caching modules redudant of memcached?
Date Tue, 26 May 2009 18:53:45 GMT
Ben,

indeed I seem to recall seeing things like ldap and kerberos libraries.
So probably you do have some redundant mod_auth* stuff in your
configuration, and could probably comment them out.
Independently of the number of open files, which this may impact or not,
anything you don't need and remove will diminish the memory footprint of
your server, which taking into account that after loading these
libraries it forks into n children, means n X the individual footprint.
  Even if you have plenty of memory, that can only be beneficial.

Anthony J. Biacco wrote:
> Well, I use very basic authentication for apache (2.2.x), just htpasswd files and allow,deny
hosts lines. So these are the only auth/authz/authn lines I have enabled. I imagine you could
get by on these (or less) as long as Django uses its own libs or third party libs for its
database auth. access.

> # Basic auth - general
>
> LoadModule authn_file_module modules/mod_authn_file.so
>
> # Allow,Deny directives
>
> LoadModule authz_host_module modules/mod_authz_host.so
>
> # Basic auth - require valid-user
>
> LoadModule authz_user_module modules/mod_authz_user.so
>
> # Basic auth - AuthType
>
> LoadModule auth_basic_module modules/mod_auth_basic.so
>

> -Tony

> Manager, IT Operations
>
> Format Dynamics, Inc.
>
> 303-573-1800x27
>
> abiacco@formatdynamics.com <mailto:abiacco@formatdynamics.com>
>
> http://www.formatdynamics.com <http://www.formatdynamics.com/>

haven't encountered any problems so far.

> I'm also wondering how many of the authorization modules are necessary -- considering
I have Django doing a lot of that through the DB. But that might be another thread ... =)