httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Order of Proxy matching
Date Mon, 25 May 2009 09:28:46 GMT
Evan Champion wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone advise of the order in which <Proxy> statements matching the
> same URL are matched?
>
> I am using SetEnvIf to set a variable that is saved later in the
> access_log.  Sometimes there is a more specific match and a less
> specific match for the same URL, e.g.:
>
> <Proxy http://server1.example.com/*>
> 	SetEnvIf Server_Addr . VAR=first
>       Allow from all
> </Proxy>
>
> <Proxy http://*.example.com/*>
> 	SetEnvIf Server_Addr . VAR=second
>       Allow from all
> </Proxy>
>
> My observation is that the matches are done in reverse order of
> appearance in the configuration, i.e. in this example, a request to
> http://server.example.com/ will match the http://*.example.com/* rule
> and the variable will be set to "second".  Is it generally correct that
> matches are in reverse order of appearance in the configuration?

I don't know the details of how <Proxy> sections work, but there is an
alternate possible explanation to what you are seeing :
*both* sections above are run, in the order in which they appear,
because both of them match.
So the first SetEnvIf is executed (VAR=first), but the second one
overwrites it (VAR=second).

I believe in this case you may want to use some RewriteCond/RewriteRule
(mod_rewrite) to do what you want.