httpd-users mailing list archives

From Drew Tomlinson <d...@mykitchentable.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Domain Masking (I think?)
Date Sun, 24 May 2009 16:07:45 GMT
Davide Bianchi wrote:
> Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>
>> The two URLs are:
>>
>> http://drew.mykitchentable.net/fatblog
>> http://fatblog.freehealthupdates.com
>>

> The first one is not a domain name, but a domain name + a subdir, that
> make me think that you already have some sort of rewrite or redirect
> rule that changes your URL adding the 'fatblog' bit.

Thanks for your reply.  There is no rewrite or redirect.  The "/fatblog"
is an "Alias" defined in the drew.mykitchentable.net virtual host
container.  Here's the specific line:

Alias /fatblog "/path/to/wordpress"

Thus http://drew.mykitchentable.net/fatblog is just the URL to my
WordPress installation.  There is nothing being done by Apache.

> You'll need to check that and eventually add something similar to the
> other vhost, unless is in an .htaccess and is not added by your webpress
> installation.
>
> For the rest, if you have a default configuration of Apache, the
> hostname that is displayed is the same that the user typed in the
> address bar. See the 'UseCanonicalName' options in the docs.

I looked at the UseCanonicalName directive but it doesn't seem to be the
right answer for me.  My WordPress installation is set up as
http://drew.mykitchentable.net/fatblog so all the links on the WordPress
pages point to http://drew/mykitchentable.net/fatblog/whatever.  Thus if
one enters the WordPress site with URL
http://drew.mykitchentable.net/fatblog and begins navigating through the
site, http://drew/mykitchentable.net/fatblog/whatever is always
displayed in the browser address bar.  This is exactly what I expect and
want.

Now I also want to have one be able to access the WordPress installation
via http://fatblog.freehealthupdates.com.  Thus I have configured a
virtual host with these relevant directives:

ServerName fatblog.freehealthupdates.com
DocumentRoot /path/to/wordpress

With this setup, I can enter the WordPress installation via
http://fatblog.freehealthupdates.com.  However because the WordPress
installation is setup as http://drew.mykitchentable.net/fatblog, all the
links on the page point to
http://drew.mykitchentable.net/fatblog/whatever.  Thus clicking on any
link changes the address in the browser's address bar from
http://fatblog.freehealthupdates.com to
http://drew.mykitchentable.net/fatblog/whatever.

So I guess my question is, "If I click on a link named
http://drew.mykitchentable.net/fatblog/whatever, how can I make the
address displayed in the browsers address bar show
http://fatblog.freehealthupdates.com/whatever?".  Is this possible and
if so, how?

These are all working links so you can actually try them if you wish.

Thanks for your help!

Drew

--
Be a Great Magician!