httpd-users mailing list archives

From Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Httpd on Ubuntu 9.04
Date Sun, 24 May 2009 07:34:46 GMT
Res wrote:
> Sander,
> Maybe a vote should be taken to issue notice to them, to cease renaming
> key apache components, its bad enough the butchering they do, but
> renaming is crossing the line IMHO, as we've just seen why in this
> thread, for every one you hear, you know there's many thousands more you
> don't.
>
> On Sat, 23 May 2009, Sander Temme wrote:
>
>> On May 22, 2009, at 5:39 AM, John Hudak wrote:
>>
>>> WHY does the Debian distro 'relocate'
>>> things such as apache?
>>
>> Don't ask us, ask them.

This is a general anarchy problem with everybody reinterpreting the
'rules' for standardisation of the directory structure to their own
ends. Since the FHS standard simply does not ACTUALLY define anything
useful!

Add PHP and a database to the mix and a dozen variations seem to become
hundreds, so perhaps it IS time some of the base projects started
nailing things down in conjunction with FHS and removes the totally
useless current 'standard' where EVERY variation is claimed to be
compliant and FHS is used as the justification for MAKING their personal
changes :(

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL