httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] What is the best way to handle "too many open files" errors?
Date Wed, 20 May 2009 19:10:03 GMT
palewire wrote:
> For what it's worth, I've taken the additional step of running `lsof |grep
> httpd > http.dump` and posting it online. My understanding is that this
> shows all of the httpd open files that are adding up to my high totals.
>
> http://gist.github.com/114943
>
> If anyone who understands this better than me has a minute, I'd appreciate
> whether you could say whether something is out of the ordinary.

I probably don't understand this much better than you, but I will
nevertheless offer some comments.

The first thing that comes to mind, is that you probably want to use
some of the lsof filtering options, so that your list really shows only
open files on the filesystem.  I have the impression that quite a lot of
the stuff shown are not really open files, and may not really count
against a ulimit.
But then again, my knowledge of lsof is quite limited.

The second thing I notice, is that you seem to have just about
everything under the sun running under your Apache, so I'm not so
surprised that you would have a lot of files open.
I see things there that make me believe you have stuff running under
Apache like, at least : python, ldap, sql, kerberos, imaging stuff,
geos, fortran, xml parsing, and whatnot.
As good as Apache is, I am sure there is a limit somewhere as to what
one poor server can take as abuse.
You might want to look around your "LoadModule" directives, and check
what you really need.