httpd-users mailing list archives

From Abel Braaksma <abel.onl...@xs4all.nl>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] After restart Vista, working Apache 2.2.11 stopped working, reinstall, google, etc to no avail
Date Mon, 18 May 2009 08:06:54 GMT
The good news is: it works again, see
http://www.undermyhat.org/wordpress/?p=19 for the first part of this
nightmare in prose ;-)

The bad news is, I don't know why it works. It was clearly NOT a bug in
Apache, so no blame or fame there, but I'm sure you all knew that
already. The path of fixing went through a whole series of system
cleanup and only with the event of applying ComboFix (not to be used
lightly, and only when you are having trouble and some knowledgeable or
authorized expert asks you to use it) it resolved the problem. Though
there were no hidden processes or worms found on my system, it is likely
to assume that there was a serious conflict and this somehow affected
Apache (and, occasionally other processes).

I wished I really new what caused it, now this thread has to be closed
in oblivion and I'm afraid that anybody reading the archive can only be
given this one advice: it is an unlikely error, so do a full system
scan, to the bottom.

Thanks to you all for helping. To William, about your last questions:
UAC was off, I tried -t but it only says "syntax OK". When I
reinstalled, I removed the full directory and checked the registry for
left-overs and removed them to if there were any.

Cheers and thanks!
-- Abel --