httpd-users mailing list archives

From Abel Braaksma <abel.onl...@xs4all.nl>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] After restart Vista, working Apache 2.2.11 stopped working, reinstall, google, etc to no avail
Date Sat, 16 May 2009 15:17:25 GMT
Hi Tom & others,

another 20 hours further, and no luck still. Did a complete and in-depth
search for any malware, viruses, adware, wrong configurations, registry
problems, etc. Not the most advanced tools (all the way to GMER and
ComboFix for rootkit revealing or malware detection) could find anything
malicious. Port monitoring didn't show anything suspicious. Just a clean
system.

So, the big question still is, what can possibly be the cause of this
behavior of Apache and, more importantly, what can I do about it? There
are internet reports (also on this list) that the error I receive can
happen intermittently, but nothing is listed about a continuous startup
error. My system is in a state where I can guarantee that Apache has
been working correctly on (the rollback), and I still receive the same
errors, without clue.

I really don't want to think that I have to abandon Apache, as it is a
great product (and has been so for many years for me). And I definitely
don't want to switch to IIS for my scripting applications (php, perl,
ruby etc).

What can I still do? Is there someone around that can help me setup
Visual Studio to run Apache from the IDE and to step through the source?
I know enough of programming to debug and analyze, I just need help
setting it up. Note: it builds correctly already for both Debug and
Release builds. But the Debug builds fails with an assert, early on and
the Release shows exactly the same behavior as the downloaded Apache binary.

Still hope to find a way out of this nightmare. My website has been off
for 36 hours now and I haven't made a single step towards a solution...
(regardless the splendid help on several fora).

Regards,
-- Abel --