httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jonas Eckerman <jonas_li...@frukt.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Fwd: Home Web Server
Date Thu, 14 May 2009 22:59:48 GMT
Justin Zhang wrote:

> I try connect routher via phone adapter and bypass phone adapter
> (direcly to DSL modem, i.e. taking phone adapter off) I got two
> different IPs from myIPaddress.com.

This could be because you have get dynamic IP with DHCP. A possible
scenario:

First the phone adapter gets an IP from your ISPs DHCP server.

When you disconnect the phone adapter, the D-Link router needs an IP
from the DHCP server. Since the D-Link router has a different MAC
address it will get a different IP address.

Depending on the DHCP servers config you may get a new IP address every
now and then even if you don't change your setup.

With a dynamic IP you simply need to accept that your IP may change at
any time and that it is likely to change whenever you change your setup
or tur off the router or phone adapter (wichever connects to the DSL modem).

If this is a problem, you could use a dynamic DNS service to get a fixed
host name even though you have a dynamic IP.

Please note that I don't know if the above scenario is applicable to
your situation.

Regards
/Jonas
--
Jonas Eckerman
Fruktträdet & Förbundet Sveriges Dövblinda