httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] authentication question
Date Mon, 11 May 2009 18:29:43 GMT
Peter Schober wrote:
> * André Warnier <aw@ice-sa.com> [2009-05-11 19:24]:
>> in all kinds of applications that can run under Apache, to obtain a
>> user-id ? The answer is basically no, because Apache (and HTTP) do not
>> define such a standard mechanism.
>
> Support for REMOTE_USER is not so bad, I'd say.

Well, REMOTE_USER is a cgi environment variable.  It is only set for
applications that run as cgi-bin's.

Without being absolutely certain, I would assume that any of the
standard mod_auth* modules supplied with Apache would, after
authentication, set the user-id into some field of the internal Apache
request record.

So theoretically (if it was set), any program/module running under
Apache /could/ obtain this authenticated user-id from Apache, by reading
it from this internal request record, presuming they had an interface to
do so.
The question is, do they ?

The question is also, do all of these other add-on authentication
modules set this same field in the internal Apache record ?
They are certainly not obliged to by any RFC I've read.