httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Newbie. Apache doesnt start ok
Date Thu, 07 May 2009 10:02:12 GMT
Allright, now we can really start helping.

tirengarfio wrote:
> Intel 32 bits + Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
Apache 2.2.8
> /etc/init.d/apache2 start
good

> http://localhost
Where is that browser running ? on the same machine as Apache ?

If it is ...
> Failed to Connect
>
> Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost.

The first thing is to see if apache is really running.
On the same machine as Apache, in a command window, enter

ps -ef | grep apache

You should see several lines showing the apache processes (at least 2).

If not, then it`s not running and we have to figure out why.

Otherwise, let's check that it is indeed listening on port 80 (the
standard HTTP port) :
Enter "netstat -an | grep LISTEN"
You should see a line similar to (on one line) :
tcp6       0      0 :::80                   :::*                    LISTEN

If you don't, there is a problem.

In case of a problem, on your kind of system, the Apache logfile should
be in /var/log/apache2.
You will find 2 logfiles there : an "access log" and an "error log".
The access log contains 1 line for each request that a browser makes to
the server.  The error log starts with a line each time you restart
Apache, and after that it usually only shows when an error occurred.

Let us know how far you get with the above commands.