httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache/2.0.47 - AIX - DEFLATE enabled - Content-Encoding for a page - shows blank - although it's gzip encoded
Date Wed, 06 May 2009 09:45:46 GMT
Arabinda Sahoo wrote:
> Yes, Andre.
>
> MOD_DEFLATE setting as done in my httpd.conf as follows - perfectly does - one part of
work - which is - Compression - for all Pages.

> <Location />
>    SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
>    SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \
>       \.(?:gif|jpe?g|png|tar)$ no-gzip dont-vary
> </Location>
>
> And also it does set "Content-Encoding=gzip" (Which I can see using "Fiddler" tool) -
90% of the time.

> But for 10% of my pages - the Compression happens, but Content-Encoding="" is set. I
can check this using Fiddler again.

> I will tend to think that it is an Apache issue.
> Because, my application is not aware that - Apache compression has been enabled.
>
> And if Apache is indeed compressing a page, now whose responsibility it becomes - to
set the Content-Encoding=gzip???

> Apache is not behaving as expected.
> So, IE7 explorer cannot recognize this as a compressed page and fails.
>
> I am happy to send you and Nick the entire httpd.conf file - if attachments are allowed
in this forum.

Ok, taking all that you write above at face value,
is there /something/ (URL, size, type, whatever) that distinguishes the
10% of pages that result in a 'Content-encoding: "" ' header, from the
others ?

Also, can you give us a short explanation of how these pages are being
generated ?  I mean what is the application that generates them, where
does it live, how does Apache get that content, etc..
And does that application /ever/ by itself generate compressed content ?

Can you give us an example of the response headers in both cases (copy
and paste from Fiddler) ?

I'm just plucking at straws here, trying to figure out the reason for
the 10%..