httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache/2.0.47 - AIX - DEFLATE enabled - Content-Encoding for a page - shows blank - although it's gzip encoded
Date Wed, 06 May 2009 09:16:08 GMT
Nick Kew wrote:
> On 6 May 2009, at 08:41, Arabinda Sahoo wrote:
>
>> Actually I have a compelling reason to set - Content-Encoding to gzip
>> - for performance improvement.
>
> For ****s sake, take a step back!
>
> There's no way Apache makes such a meal of this.  You have either a very
> broken
> application or a very confused configuration.  Maybe both.
>
>> Although Compression is set for Apache - DEFLATE module, a few Pages
>> which are rendered by Actuate 8 report server - don't honour them.
>
> That just doesn't make sense (maybe English isn't your first language?).
> What are you expecting of mod_deflate, and how is it not performing?
>
>> As per you - I tried - mod_headers - but unsuccessfully
>> (Although Apache doc for mod_headers say that  - these settings take
>> effect just before it is sent over the network!!!!)
>
> mod_headers should not be necessary for this.  It adds to your complexity.
>
> Bottom line: for contents that are stored compressed on the server, use
> AddEncoding.  For contents compressed on the fly, use mod_deflate.
> For anything else, RTFM and tell us why you're not using standard
> solutions.

Hi Nick.
No need to get upset.
As I understand the issue now (and as stated above by the OP),
mod_deflate seems to be doing fine in most cases.
However, it also seems that /some/ pages which are rendered by something
("Actuate 8 report server", which I have no idea what it is) are
actually compressed (?), but do /not/ come out with the correct
content-encoding.
 From all that, I gather (now) that these specific pages are not static,
but generated on-the-fly (Arabinda, is that right ?).
So the question now would be : is there something (in the URI used to
request such a page for example) that allows to distinguish it from
other pages that do work ?
And does the problem concern /all/ the pages produced by that "Actuate 8
report server", or just some of them ?

Also (for Nick), while we are at it, /why/ would it be that a
content-encoding response header set unconditionally by mod_headers
would not come out ?
(the OP earlier posted the "Header" line used.)