httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache/2.0.47 - AIX - DEFLATE enabled - Content-Encoding for a page - shows blank - although it's gzip encoded
Date Wed, 06 May 2009 07:18:50 GMT
Arabinda Sahoo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the more detailed reply.
> Yes, I think that Content-Encoding may be of a category of "Content-Type".
> So, it will be useful for me at lease try the mod_perl once.
>
> So, could you please let me know - what all you did?
> Steps for using mod_perl?
> And your sample code where you are setting "Content-Type" to the type you want.

I will not have the time this week anymore. Next week is better.
Just this for now :

If you have no prior exposure to mod_perl : mod_perl is a very powerful
piece of software, allowing one to really do interesting things with
Apache, things you could not do with anything else apart from writing
your own Apache add-on modules in C.  I personally love it and use it on
all my servers.  But there are implications :
- it has a learning curve (perl, for instance)
- it can be heavy on the server (memory)
- it may or may not be easy to install, depending on the platform (and I
don't know about AIX).

So, if mod_perl is not yet installed on your machine (*), and before you
go in that direction :
- really make sure first that you have the problem well-understood, and
that the other alternatives do not work
- find out what is needed to install perl and mod_perl on your AIX
machine (for example, if there exists some standard package under the
AIX package manager)

(*) the first line in the Apache error log after restarting Apache, will
tell you so. If mod_perl is installed, it will show up like this :

Apache/2.2.3 (Debian) DAV/2 SVN/1.4.2 mod_jk/1.2.18 PHP/4.4.4-8+etch4
mod_ssl/2.2.3 OpenSSL/0.9.8c mod_perl/2.0.2 Perl/v5.8.8 configured --
resuming normal operations

In other words, if modifying this Content-encoding response header is
all you ever want to do with mod_perl, I am not sure that I would
recommend installing mod_perl just for that.
Unless it is a really critical issue, and you have really no solution
with standard Apache modules.

If after all the above, you decide to persist, then I will gladly try to
help you, because I cannot resist trying to convince someone else of the
beauties of mod_perl. But I will not be able to do that before next week.
In the meantime then, install perl and mod_perl, and start reading the
documentation, here :
http://perl.apache.org/
and here :
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/index.html