httpd-users mailing list archives

From Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] apache2 versus httpd
Date Tue, 05 May 2009 13:35:40 GMT
André Warnier wrote:
> Julius Thijssen wrote:
>> How annoying, having to switch naming from CentOS/RHEL to Debian.
>> It causes me to work for hours changing httpd to apache2 (and back)
>> while migrating a linux server system.
>> Can't they just get along and make some uniformity between them?
>> What could EVER be useful about using two different names for one and
>> the same daemon?
>>
> Sure.
> The next step would be to ask them to all put the DocumentRoot under
> /var/www, instead of /srv/www sometimes.  Then the next step would be to
> ask to agree on a structure for the config files under /etc/apache2 ..
> ooops /etc/httpd, so that one doesn't use sites-available while the
> other uses vhosts.d.
> Then we could also ask the Apache foundation to tell the Apache
> packagers for Windows to stop this nonsense of using install directory
> names with spaces, like C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/..
> etc..  Whatever was wrong with C:/apache ?
>
> Hopeless, I'm afraid.

Perhaps not ... if we create a standard then we request that the
distributions follow it. It's not just apache - php has exactly the same
problem and increase the number of combinations one has to deal with :(

Of cause simply moving them back to where YOU want them is not actually
a problem, since on the whole one only has to edit the config files?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL