httpd-users mailing list archives

From Brian Kroth <bpkr...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] IPv4 -> IPv6 name based proxy?
Date Fri, 29 May 2009 19:46:55 GMT
Hello all,

I'm working on a project to redesign our web hosting infrastructure.
For various reasons our basic plan is to have a fleet of VMs that do
virtual hosting from an IPv6 only VLAN.  Since most of the world is
still IPv4 we'll need some service to allow IPv4 only clients to talk to
our IPv6 only servers.  We'd like this service to be fairly stupid
simple and require little to no configuration so our current thought is
a little Perl daemon.  Basically, when a request comes in the service
will look at the Host header, do a AAAA lookup and begin a proxy session
between the client and the corresponding IPv6 vhost.  It will populate
the X-Forwarded-* headers, but other than that just pass data back and
forth.

Now, my question is is there a way to do something like this directly
with Apache without specifying for each virtual host which IPv6 address
to send the request to?

Thanks,
Brian