httpd-users mailing list archives

From Evan Platt <e...@espphotography.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Fwd: Home Web Server
Date Fri, 15 May 2009 02:34:42 GMT
At 07:05 PM 5/14/2009, you wrote:

>Shirley, you jest... how else could an equipment identify itself
>when turned on... I pressed COX CABLE after PURCASING DYNAMIC
>BUSINESS CABLE connection, only to find that they identified your
>EQUIPMENT before assigning a DYNAMIC IP from the pool... but already
>HAD a PERMANENT EQUIPMENT IP. They gave me that one, and for the
>past year I have enjoyed STATIC IP of  68.99.64.11
>
>Try it!

It's called a MAC address.

So you have two IP addresses? What IP address shows if you go to
www.whatismyip.com ?

Because I see your 'secret' IP IS 68.99.64.11 in your mail headers:

So, if this 'second' IP address is some hidden secret, it's not
hiding. What's your 'other' IP?

Sounds like Cox simply uses DHCP, but assigns the IP address based on
your mac address. I've had DSL where I've kept the same IP for
months. No big deal, I use a dynamic dns client.