httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache/2.0.47 - AIX - DEFLATE enabled - Content-Encoding for a page - shows blank - although it's gzip encoded
Date Wed, 06 May 2009 08:12:09 GMT
On 6 May 2009, at 08:41, Arabinda Sahoo wrote:

> Actually I have a compelling reason to set - Content-Encoding to
> gzip - for performance improvement.

For ****s sake, take a step back!

There's no way Apache makes such a meal of this.  You have either a
very broken
application or a very confused configuration.  Maybe both.

> Although Compression is set for Apache - DEFLATE module, a few
> Pages which are rendered by Actuate 8 report server - don't honour
> them.

That just doesn't make sense (maybe English isn't your first language?).
What are you expecting of mod_deflate, and how is it not performing?

> As per you - I tried - mod_headers - but unsuccessfully
> (Although Apache doc for mod_headers say that  - these settings
> take effect just before it is sent over the network!!!!)

mod_headers should not be necessary for this.  It adds to your
complexity.

Bottom line: for contents that are stored compressed on the server, use
AddEncoding.  For contents compressed on the fly, use mod_deflate.
For anything else, RTFM and tell us why you're not using standard
solutions.

--
Nick Kew