httpd-users mailing list archives

From Viaduct Productions <li...@viaduct-productions.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] LocationMatch inside VirtualHost? [solved: bug]
Date Tue, 14 Apr 2009 12:40:20 GMT

On 14-Apr-09, at 8:18 AM, Tom Evans wrote:

>> [Tue Apr 14 06:05:15 2009] [warn] NameVirtualHost *:80 has no
>> VirtualHosts
>>

> Which does NOT say "Apache has no vhosts". You may be misunderstanding
> what the message says.

May, may not, perhaps...hence the request for documentation.

>>> (correct)
>>> (correct)

>>> The syntax is correct, but the semantics are slightly incorrect,
>>> hence
>>> the error message.

>>> I'm inferring that the problem is:
>>> You have vhosts, you get the error message 'NameVirtualHost *:80 has
>>> no
>>> VirtualHosts', and you don't understand why? I'll step you through
>>> it..
>>
>> Wonderful.  I'll assume this isn't in the docs.
>
> Well, I didn't imagine this up out of thin air.
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#namevirtualhost

Yes, of course.  The very documentation I've been using all this
time.  All of this hasn't brought about any perceived solution nor
reduction of warnings in configtest.  Even with the potential
confusion noted above, it still is that.

> Without a conf file, and being told what errors came up, that is as
> useful as a slap around the face.

See reply to Andre.

> No modifications to httpd.conf at all? I'm __staggered__ that you have
> so many vhosts with a stock config.

Other than the include to my file, nothing.

> PEBKAC = Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair. It wasn't meant
> as a
> slur, just that clearly you don't know Apache, and if we were to
> switch
> you for a me, or an Eric, then the problem would be fixed.

Well then.  I guess the solution is to become you, or Eric.
Unfortunately, we live in the real world, and not in Lalaland.  Also,
users are those that aren't you people, it is us.

>> In any case, thank you for the notes.  It's the explanation like this
>> which I think should be up front.  I think it's a shame that this
>> will
>> get somewhat buried.
>>
>> Rich in Toronto
>> ...now go get on your bike
>

> If you had provided your configuration, then we might be able to see
> where you are going wrong.
>
> However, all you seem to want to do is post really really long winded
> rants, with little substance or content, whilst complaining non stop
> about the software quality, support quality and documentation
> quality of
> free software. Good luck with that.

So I guess 200% my money back, right?  Wow you have certainly trumped
me.  I guess anybody with a question or a suggestion shouldn't ask for
clarification on items that are confusing.  We should just become you.

Good luck with that.  Andre is providing some leadership.

Rich in Toronto
...now go get on your bike