httpd-users mailing list archives

From <ya...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Weird timeout connections during benchmark (apache completely stops)?!
Date Thu, 16 Apr 2009 14:17:54 GMT
The error log is empty! Is there some sort of limit put on number of requests allowed from
external host? I just tried

ab -n 100000 -c 300 http://localhost/ and it did not show the "drop dead" behavior after a
certain period of time.

However local benchmarking seems to have a ceiling of its own, once I increase the concurrent
users to 500 it gives

apr_socket_recv: Connection reset by peer (104)

But at least 500 is a lot higher than 50. I hear apache is capable of serving thousands of
requests per second, what am I missing?

Thanks

From: Prasanna Ram Venkatachalam
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2009 9:45 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Weird timeout connections during benchmark (apache completely stops)?!

Did the error log say something? It surely will have something incase its not able to find
any resources or breached any limits!

Regards
Prasanna Ram

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 5:57 PM, asd asd <yalag@hotmail.com> wrote:

  I'm trying to get an accurate request/per second of my apache for different pages and for
different server options. I am using both ab and siege against apache to try to find out how
many users can be loading a specific page at a time.

  I find that if when concurrent connections are set to anything above 50-100, the server
will run fine for 5-10 seconds but then completely stops accepting new connections after that.
All connections from ab and siege returns "connection time out". The higher I set the concurrent
users, the faster this happens. If I set it to 1000, it happens almost immediately. It is
as if the server has ran out on something. But I am not sure what, ran out of sockets? Cpu
usageis showing as 2% and plenty of memory. Also this is done over LAN so the network is not
the limiting factor.

  Surely apache must be able to handle over 100 simultaneous connections at the same time?
My application will probably have more than 100 users making request at the same time.
  Any ideas? What command should I be using with ab/siege to properly probe the maximum request/second?

  PS. so far I am only benching the default page (ie. welcome to apache...)