httpd-users mailing list archives

From Doug Bell <d...@plainblack.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Shell Script to automatically start Apache with SSL passphrase?
Date Mon, 27 Apr 2009 23:33:39 GMT
On Apr 27, 2009, at 6:16 PM, Mike Lyon wrote:

> It's another link in the security of that certificate... I'd prefer
> to keep it. It guarantees continuity from the creation of the CSR
> until you get the cert back from the CA.
>
> -Mike
>

> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 4:12 PM, Igor Cicimov <icicimov@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> Recreate the certificate without passphrase, what do you need it for
> any way?
>

> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 8:50 AM, Mike Lyon <mike.lyon@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> There has to be an easy answer to this question. When I restart
> apache, it prompts me to enter in the passphrase for the SSL certs.
> How can I create a shell script to automatically enter in the
> passphrase for me when apache starts up at boot-up?
>
> Thank you,
> Mike

Perl's Expect module might be able to help you, if you know Perl, but
I second the notion to remove the passphrase. You don't need to ask
the CA to resign the cert if I'm not mistaken.

# openssl rsa -in www.domain.com.key -out www.domain.com.nopassphrase.key

Doug Bell -- Senior Developer, Plain Black Corp.
[ http://plainblack.com ]
all that groks is