httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] rewrite question
Date Mon, 06 Apr 2009 19:09:49 GMT

On Apr 6, 2009, at 14:32, Gary Smith wrote:

> We have a web site that is being pounded pretty hard.  The web site
> has lots of graphics and our bandwidth is being killed.  We have a
> dedicated server at another location where we get more bandwidth
> cheaper (but the overall processing sucks so it can't push the full
> site).
>
> We would like to rewrite all gif/png/jpegs for www.domain.com and
> domain.com to go to images.domain.com.  Basically we have rsynced
> the content to the second domain and until we can tweak the
> thousands of HTML pages we want to just redirect.
>
> Anyway have a working rule handy for doing this.  I know we will
> still take a bandwidth hit but like I said, this is just a work
> around for now.

Assuming you have sensible URIs, you can:

ProxyPass /images http://images.domain.com/images

If not, then you can:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule (.*\.(jpg|png|gif))$ http://images.domain.com$1 [R,NC]

--
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate,
because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he