httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] alias using Virtual host
Date Tue, 28 Apr 2009 12:59:24 GMT
Melanie Pfefer wrote:
> Hi Andre,
>
> It worked but I need to check this with you:
>
> I have bunches of lines in httpd.conf: several rules, ssl configuration, redirections,
authentication providers….

> I tried to put all these between <VirtualHost *:80> and </VirtualHost> to
configure the first (and default) server. But apache refused to start after this because of:

> <IfModule ssl_module>
> SSLRandomSeed startup builtin
> SSLRandomSeed connect builtin
> </IfModule>

Unfortunately, SSL setup is an area where I am totally incompetent.

But from an overall perspective, the fundamental aspect is this :
As soon as you start with <VirtualHost> sections, the following logic
applies :

- everything that you define in the "main" part of your Apache
configuration file (that is, whatever is *not* inside a
<VirtualHost>..</VirtualHost> section) becomes a *default* setting for
all VirtualHosts.

- whatever you configure *inside* of a <VirtualHost> section, then
*overrides* the default if any.

In other words, say that in the main configuration section you have a
line like
DocumentRoot /some/path

then it is by default valid for all VirtualHosts, if they do not have
their own DocumentRoot line overriding this.

That probably also applies to your SSL-related directives above.

In the on-line Apache documentation, under "run-time configuration
directives", there is an index which leads to each individual directive.
You should check with each of your directives, where it is allowed to be
used.
For example, if I check the "SSLRandomSeed" directive, it says clearly :
Context : server config
and further :
This directive can only be used in the global server context because the
PRNG is a global facility.

That means that this directive *must* be in the main part of the
configuration, and *can not* be used inside of a VirtualHost section.

On the other hand, the DocumentRoot directive says :
Context:	server config, virtual host