httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_proxy_ajp connections erratic
Date Thu, 23 Apr 2009 08:07:33 GMT
Craig Main wrote:
> Thanks Andre,
>
> I am using apache to connect to 10 tomcat instances using the ajp
> connector with load balancing and sticky sessions.
>
> Apache:
> Load [root@lt-webportal-01:~]  # /opt/apache/bin/apachectl -V
> Server version: Apache/2.2.9 (Unix)
> Server built:   Sep  6 2008 15:33:44
> Server's Module Magic Number: 20051115:15
> Server loaded:  APR 1.3.0, APR-Util 1.3.0
> Compiled using: APR 1.3.0, APR-Util 1.3.0
> Architecture:   64-bit
> Server MPM:     Prefork
>   threaded:     no
>     forked:     yes (variable process count)
> Server compiled with....
>  -D APACHE_MPM_DIR="server/mpm/prefork"
>  -D APR_HAS_SENDFILE
>  -D APR_HAS_MMAP
>  -D APR_HAVE_IPV6 (IPv4-mapped addresses enabled)
>  -D APR_USE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZE
>  -D APR_USE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZE
>  -D SINGLE_LISTEN_UNSERIALIZED_ACCEPT
>  -D APR_HAS_OTHER_CHILD
>  -D AP_HAVE_RELIABLE_PIPED_LOGS
>  -D DYNAMIC_MODULE_LIMIT=128
>  -D HTTPD_ROOT="/opt/http-2.2.9"
>  -D SUEXEC_BIN="/opt/http-2.2.9/bin/suexec"
>  -D DEFAULT_PIDLOG="logs/httpd.pid"
>  -D DEFAULT_SCOREBOARD="logs/apache_runtime_status"
>  -D DEFAULT_LOCKFILE="logs/accept.lock"
>  -D DEFAULT_ERRORLOG="logs/error_log"
>  -D AP_TYPES_CONFIG_FILE="/opt/etc/httpd/mime.types"
>  -D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="/opt/etc/httpd/httpd.conf"
>
> Tomcat: apache-tomcat-6.0.18
>
> Platform: CentOS 5.2 64bit
>

> The problem points to the ajp connection as we have done the following
> tests:
>
> 1) Load tested http with our static content. - Good Response times
> 2) Load tested with the tomcat ajp load balancing to 10 tomcat
> instances:
>         * When we test the site's static content, the speed is fine
>         * When we test the site's pages that go to tomcat, we see the
> same page returning sometimes fast, and other times slow.
>         * If we test connecting to the tomcat via it's http connector
> from the command line, the speed is fine under load.
>         * If we test connecting to the apache requesting the tomcat
> pages, some of the requests are returned quickly, others are slow.
> 3) At first we thought it could be an specific instance of Tomcat, but
> on investigation, one request to a particular instance was fast, and
> others we slow to the same instance.
>
> Please let me know if you need more information.

I believe that will do fine.
;-)

Just another question, because someone is bound to ask : would it be an
option for you to test with mod_jk instead of mod_proxy_ajp as a
connector on the httpd side, and compare the results ?
Not to say that one or the other is better, but mod_jk has been there
longer, and is probably more mature.  And it would help circumscribing
the issue.