httpd-users mailing list archives

From Basil Mohamed Gohar <abu_huray...@hidayahonline.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Server-Variables in CondPattern of RewriteCond directive
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2009 14:30:07 GMT
On 04/22/2009 10:17 PM, Eric Covener wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Basil Mohamed Gohar
> <abu_hurayrah@hidayahonline.org>  wrote:
>
>>> Outside of htaccess, the pattern is compiled at startup, so you can't
>>> use variables (because they depend on parts of the request, even
>>> ServerName).
>>>
>>> IIUC It's feasible in per-directory, but not implemented.
>>>

>> So, what this means is it's not possible as it stands right now, correct?
>>

> Correct. You can usually get to the same ultimate result by putting
> the variables in the 2nd argument and being more clever with captures
> and multiple conditions, etc.
>
> If you can describe what your end goal is, someone here might be able
> to help construct a ruleset.

Thanks.  It's quite simple, actually.  What I want to do is direct all
domains that fall under a virtualhost which has many server aliases to
one canonical domain.

So, for example, if my canonical name is www.example.com, and someone
accesses example.com or example.net (all of which are aliases in
VirtualHost block), I want a redirect to be issued pointing to the
canonical ServerName value (www.example.com).  Since this is already
stored in %{SERVER_NAME}, I thought it would be best to use it, because
I have this kind of behavior on many, but not all, VirtualHosts.  It
would save me a lot of time.