httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache won't display index.cgi
Date Fri, 17 Apr 2009 07:39:26 GMT
Mike Diggins wrote:

> I'm running Apache 2.0.58 and Apache2-AuthenRadius-0.6 for
> authentication on a Sun Sparc V210. I was running another radius module
> but this one seems better, so I switched. However, I can no longer get
> Apache to display my index.cgi page when I browse to the directory it's
> in. It prompts for authentication, which works, but all I get is a blank
> page.

It may not, since you get a "blank" page.
In fact, this is certainly not "just a blank page".  There are HTTP
response code and HTTP headers sent by the server which tell you what
kind of error occurred (in this case probably a "401 Unauthorized").

The first thing to do for this kind of problem is making sure of what
really happens.
There are 2 sources for that :
- the error log of the server : what's in it ?
- the browser itself.

For the browser,
- if you are using Firefox, get the HttpFox extension (or
LiveHttpHeaders if you have FF v 2)
- if you are using IE, get the Fiddler extension
(search Google for both)
These extensions allow you to see, in an extra browser window,
/everything/ that is sent or received by the browser, in a readable
format. That includes all request and response headers.
It will also show you other things that you may not even be aware of,
such as several invisible exchanges between browser and server before
you even see this blank page.

For the server, usually Apache modules write errors to the logfile, or
can be set to do so.  Look for a "debug" parameter for the auth module
that you are using.

When you have done all of that, come back if you have a question.
Most probably you will not, because you will already have figured it out
by yourself.