httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: AW: [users@httpd] Apache memory hog
Date Fri, 03 Apr 2009 13:55:28 GMT
Domsch, Christian (IZLBW Extern) wrote:
> Hmm,
>
> I can't agree with your opinion. The thing is here, that when the apache server is shutdown
and restarted the memory is not freed and so the httpd processes get the out of memory errors
much more quickly because the amount of free memory is much lower.

I must say that I am curious as to how this can come about.
How can a Linux process grab some memory from the OS, and then not give
it back when it exits?
My admittedly incomplete understanding of such things, was always that
when a process exits, any resources it still owned should be freed, no ?
(unless some other process, still alive, by now would own these resources).