httpd-users mailing list archives

From Alessandro Fantuzzi <fantu...@o-one.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache memory hog
Date Fri, 03 Apr 2009 13:46:17 GMT

About the fact that stopping Apache doesnt free the memory, I wanted to
point out that our sysadmin told us this is due to how Apache manages
memory.
We didnt went into the details so I cant tell you more.
Should search the documentation.
Anyway this shouldnt be related to the problem that causes the memory leak.

Adrian Marsh ha scritto:
> Hi Christian,
>
> Do you think you could ask them to see if they resolved it?
>
> I had similar thoughts, so in my VMware copy I tried various things, including working
without SSL, but I didn't see the results get any better.

> Adrian

newest subversion 1.5.x and also use https. For authentication they use winbind and not ldap.

> They too have the problem, that the apache processes take up a lot of cpu cycles and
use up the ram to the point, where the processes crash with out ouf memory. After that the
memory is not freed. Even when the httpd processes are stopped (and not crash) the memory
is not freed.

> I do not know the fine details here, bit the sysadmin found some odd things going on
with ssl.

> -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

hundreds of megs of RES memory being used in TOP.  I just restarted it and already each is
consuming:

>> 10006 apache    15   0  279m  15m 3160 S  0.0  0.1   0:00.29 httpd
>> 10004 apache    15   0  278m  13m 3400 S  0.0  0.1   0:00.05 httpd
>> 10007 apache    15   0  278m  13m 3048 S  0.0  0.1   0:00.04 httpd
>> 10001 apache    15   0  277m  13m 3456 S  0.0  0.1   0:00.08 httpd
>> 10003 apache    15   0  277m  13m 2976 S  0.0  0.1   0:00.10 httpd
>> 10002 apache    15   0  277m  13m 3112 S  0.0  0.1   0:00.07 httpd
>> 10005 apache    15   0  277m  13m 3080 S  0.0  0.1   0:00.06 httpd
>> 10000 apache    15   0  277m  12m 3432 S  0.0  0.1   0:00.51 httpd
>>
>> Also, I forgot to mention its 1.5.5 of SVN (1.5.2 had a mod_ bugfix for a memory
leak).

>> What interests me at the moment is diagnosing which module it is (as others running
1.5.5 don't report this issue).  It's a fairly vanilla httpd setup other than the svn config.

>> Adrian
>>

> Doesnt look that bad. That 27[789]m reported as SIZE is shared between the processes,
shared pages and the like, and the RES isn't excessive in my opinion. What does mod_status
and mod_server_info say is going on when you notice the memory starvation?

> What precisely did you change with your yum update? Did that change core packages, like
libc etc?

> Cheers
>
> Tom

Alessandro Fantuzzi - O-one s.r.l.
E-mail: fantuzzi@o-one.net <mailto:fantuzzi@o-one.net>
Software developer

www.o-one.net <http://www.o-one.net>

Via Dante Zanichelli, 61 - 42100 Reggio Emilia
Tel. 0522 930078 - Fax. 0522 387947
Via Stendhal, 36 - 20144 Milano
Tel 02.42292057 - Fax 02.47770936

STRICTLY PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL This message may contain confidential
and proprietary material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any
review or distribution by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not
the intended recipient please contact the sender and delete all copies.
The contents of this message that do not relate to the official business
of our company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.