httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache memory hog
Date Fri, 03 Apr 2009 09:37:11 GMT
Adrian Marsh wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I'm trying to track down an issue I have with our apache server.  Its a
> poweredge 1800, RHEL5x64 server, running httpd-2.2.3-22.el5.  Its mainly
> used as a subversion repository, via HTTPS with LDAP lookup for
> authentication.
>

> All was well with the system, running 1Gb of ram, until I did a yum
> update, and also upgraded subversion from 1.4 to 1.5.
>

> Since then, apache consumes vast amounts of RAM, with very little user
> interaction.  We've upped the memory to 12Gb of RAM, but even that gets
> consumed within a few hours.
>

> Obviously something is eating the ram.
>

> So my questions are:
>

> 1) How do I find which module it is in apache thats consuming the ram?
> (I'm 99% sure its subversion, but need evidence)
>

> 2) The apache docs talk about it having its own memory management, but
> what config options are these, and how (roughly) should I be setting
> them?
>

> 3) When the memory is consumed by httpd, and I stop the httpd process,
> it quite often doesnt return the memory to the OS, leaving 11Gb in
> "limbo" somewhere.  Is there a way to reclaim this ?

The last paragraph above triggers a doubt : are you sure it is the httpd
process which is eating up memory ?
Can you confirm this with "top", for instance ?
(Install top if it's not there; start it; use shift-F to select the
display options, then N <CR> to select memory)
This will show you which processes are really using memory.
It is possible that some Apache process starts another separate process,
which would use up memory, and that this process does not get stopped
when you stop Apache.