httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mike Lyon <mike.l...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] mod_rewrite on reverse proxies...
Date Wed, 01 Apr 2009 03:10:39 GMT
Howdy All,

Is anyone out there using mod_rewrite to rewrite URLs that pass through
their reverse proxies? I am using Apache as an SSL offloader for some web /
app servers that sit behind it. I have it up and working great. The only
problem is that the app will return to the client (via the reverse-proxy of
course) HTML that includes hrefs to itself that point to "
http://app1.example.com" not "https://app1.example.com."

So when the client gets this HTML and wants to get content from the href it
was just given from the app server, it wants to connect back to the proxy
via http, not https. This defies the whole reason why we are doing SSL.

So what I would like to know is if there is a way I can rewrite those hrefs
when they go from the server to the client with mod_rewrite so the client is
pointed to an SSL href and not just a regular http href. Is something that
mod_rewrite is capable of doing?

Thank You,
Mike