httpd-users mailing list archives

From John Hudak <jjhu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache port help
Date Fri, 06 Mar 2009 14:42:39 GMT
Seems to me this whole rant got started because someone who appears to be
well indoctrinated in the M$ world thought that Apache was somehow a lesser
program because it did have a mechanism to support port sharing.  That is a
discussion for the developers thread and if you feel strongly about it, then
you can devote your time to push that concept.  As I see it, this is not a
new concept.  In the 2000's the buzz word is 'virtualization'....It depends
on the design goals of the program as to what concept needs to be pushed.
Sharing a port is yet another level of abstractions/indirection that most
likely can decrease performance.  (e.d. somthing M$ has not been overly
concerned about, just look at Vista).  There are also security issues
(something else  M$...well you get the picture).
Am glad the OP solved the issue.
-J