httpd-users mailing list archives

From Krist van Besien <krist.vanbes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Is it possible to configure two subdomains for an IP address?
Date Thu, 19 Mar 2009 06:30:43 GMT
On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 6:15 AM, Rex C. Eastbourne
<rex.eastbourne@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the replies. I am working on a Slicehost server with a static IP
> address; it looks something like 173.23.45.67. I'm able to navigate to this
> IP address from any computer as if it were any other domain name. What I was
> wondering is whether it's possible to navigate to a "subdomain" of an IP
> address, so that "testing.173.23.45.67" and "production.173.23.45.67" would
> be an actual valid websites. However, I am starting to get the feeling that
> this might not be possible.

This  is indeed impossible. I wonder where you ever got the feeling
that this might be possible.

 I'll ask the owner of my Slicehost VPS to buy us
> a domain name so that I can have "testing.mysite.com", etc. Hopefully that
> will make this configuration easier.

What you can do is just make up a domain name, and add it to your
/etc/hosts file (on the machine you are testing from)

So you could add:
173.23.45.67    testing.mydomain.local production.mydomain.local to
your /etc/hosts.

Important: You need to do this on the machine you run your webbrowser
on, not the machine you run your webserver (although it won't harm
there either).

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com