httpd-users mailing list archives

From Brian Mearns <mearn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] cannot access sites through "localhost" on development computer
Date Thu, 12 Mar 2009 13:04:37 GMT
On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 7:31 AM, Eric Covener <covener@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 1:23 AM, Krist van Besien
> <krist.vanbesien@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 1:22 AM, Thomas Johansson <tcjohans@riseup.net> wrote:
>>
>>> In my Apache documentation, I read somewhere that I could instead try
>>> http://127.0.0.1. And when I do so, it works fine (i.e. I get to my Inetpub
>>> folder and can see my web sites and their pages and work as normal).
>>> According to the same documentation, this would suggest that I "have serious
>>> DNS problems", but it does not say what I need to do to fix it. And I cannot
>>> find the answer anywhere on the Apache site either.
>>
>> You do indeed have DNS problems. Your computer does not now how to
>> resolve "localhost" anymore. This is not a problem of apache, and will
>> not be solved by reinstalling it. You problem is clearly with Vista,
>> which is why you won't find the answer on the Apache site.
>
> Sometimes Windows will start resolving localhost to an ipv6 address,
> which has bitten me a few times.
>
> --
> Eric Covener
> covener@gmail.com

There should be a hosts file somwhere buried under your windows
directory...you could try adding an entry to explicitely map localhost
to 127.0.01. I think the file is at
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts, but can't verify on Vista.
Anyway, if you find it, you can add a line like:
127.0.0.1 localhost
and save it (you'll need admin rights, I think).

Hope that helps,
-Brian

Key Id: 0x3AA70848
Available from: http://pgp.mit.edu/