httpd-users mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Selective Caching in Apache...
Date Fri, 20 Mar 2009 17:18:54 GMT
Tony Anecito wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Can Apache selectively cache files based on extension? I know some admins may have given
up on caching because they cached entire pages that are dyanmically built which causes problems.
If they could cache the images, css, js files that are used by those same pages that would
be more appropiate I would think.

Two words; CACHE CONTROL

This closely resembles the concept of 'natural birth control',
sometimes very successful, other times...

E.g. you express using mod_headers or mod_expires (and you can
control them via <Files > blocks) precisely when resources will
expire.

Then your httpd cache should handle everything.  If it is worth
caching at Verizon, AOL, or Comcast, it is worth caching at your
server origin point.  And if it shouldn't be cached at your own
server, there is no point suggesting to the world that it is
cacheable.

Bill