httpd-users mailing list archives

From Laura Speck <la...@actioncorp.biz>
Subject [users@httpd] Include directive in httpd.conf giving a Permission denied error.
Date Mon, 16 Mar 2009 12:27:43 GMT
Hello,

I am getting an error trying to use the Include directive in my
httpd.conf. I am running apache2 on Fedora 9. My ServerRoot is
/etc/httpd, and my apache install is not chrooted.

I have a program that sends some servers a new httpd.virts every time we
have a dns change or a new domain. This file gets uploaded to
/home/backups/httpd.virts. I have added the line Include
/home/backups/httpd.virts to the end of my httpd.conf. httpd.virts is
readable by everyone, and /home/backups/ is executable by everyone.
However, when I try to restart apache, I get this error:

Starting httpd: httpd: Syntax error on line 349 of
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf: Could not open configuration file
/home/backups/httpd.virts: Permission denied

If I copy /home/backups/httpd.virts to /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.virts, and
change the include line to Include /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.virts.. it
works fine. If I create a symbolic link to the
/home/backups/httpd.virts, apache still gives me the permission denied
error. I can't create a hard link as /home is a different partition from
/etc.

Also, I can read the file as another user, who shouldn't normally have
access to a file in someone else's home dir, but does because of the +x
on the dir and the +r on the file. So I don't think it's a permissions
problem..?

Is there a reason this is happening? Searching google hasn't given me
any results and the error logs aren't showing anything. There must be
something I am not thinking of. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Laura