httpd-users mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] [DISCUSS] .htaccess for all and everything
Date Fri, 13 Mar 2009 19:20:09 GMT
André Warnier wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Browsing this list, I often get the impression that people use .htaccess
> files for just about everything [...]

There is no excuse for the administrator (with .conf file permissions) to
ever, ever, ever deploy .htaccess or set AllowOverride != None.  There are
as many guides which state "don't do this" as there are which advocate
abusing .htaccess.

> About the only advantage that I can see to .htaccess files, is when the
> user has access only to a specific directory on the webserver, and does
> not have access to the Apache configuration file.

I'll give you one other valid test/staging scenario; you are trying to
figure out the impact of a particular directive or group of directives,
and wish to rapidly repeat the tests without restarting the server.  The
.htaccess file provides a clean mechanism to experiment with many of the
httpd features, provided they are per-request / per-file / per-dir
overrides that you are experimenting with.

> Is that an extreme view ?

No :)