httpd-users mailing list archives

From Frank Gingras <francois.ging...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] [DISCUSS] .htaccess for all and everything
Date Fri, 13 Mar 2009 19:18:29 GMT
Andre,

I agree. So do most of the administrators in #apache on freenode, for
that matter.

I've seen speed improvements up to 15% in some extreme cases where
htaccess contents were merged into the appropriate sections of the
config files.

Aside from the performance issues, most new users stumble upon rewrite
rules, and find out to their dismay that they don't match in that
context. Even worse, most of them simply loop indefinitely.

I think the main reason why so many new users fall into this trap is
that most howto sites promote the use of htaccess without exposing the
alternate, proper way. One recent (?) example that comes to my mind is
www.askapache.com.

After a couple years of preaching, I don't see this situation improving
at all. The percentage of new users that simply disregard those 'tips'
is increasing, steadily.

Frank.