httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache port help
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2009 18:46:00 GMT
Tim Ford wrote:
> Hello, I am hosting my webpage on port 8080 so the address is
> http://intranet:8080 and you have to type that to get to it. Well I
> would just like it if my users just had to type http://intranet and
> apache will do the rest. I have tried the Rewrite and Proxy but with no
> luck. Could someone please help me out?

Hi.

1) The port on which the webserver listens for requests (8080 presently
in your case) is entirely configurable on the server side.

2) 80 is the default port for the http protocol, so that when a user
tries "http://intranet", it is the same as when they enter
"http://intranet:80".

3) in your Apache main configuration file, there is a line that says
"Listen 8080"
By changing that to "Listen 80", you will change the port Apache is
listening on, and thus attain your stated goal.

4) but (of course there is one), there can only be one server (program)
(like Apache) listening on any given port at any given time on the same
host computer.
It may thus be that some other program is already listening on port 80
on your host computer, and that this may be the reason why your Apache
is configured to use port 8080.

If you try changing the Listen configuration line above to port 80, and
try to restart Apache, and it does not start, then that is probably the
case.  Try it, and post back here if you still have a problem.