httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Application design
Date Fri, 20 Mar 2009 18:27:22 GMT
On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 11:17:13 -0400
Brian Mearns <mearns.b@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure content-transfer-encoding is the right header, I think
> just Content-encoding is what you want. Otherwise, that should work I
> think, but it requires that people's browsers support zip encoding,
> which mine, for instance (FF3 on Linux) does not.

zip is not a recognised encoding.  You'd have to configure a browser
to unzip it.

gzip is a standard that pretty-much everyone supports.  The other
standard in the HTTP spec is compress (the older .Z compression).

> If you're going to do this and you don't want to lock anybody out
> because of browser in-compatibilities, I think you're going to have to
> parse the request headers, find out if they support the specified
> encoding, and if not, have your server decompress on the fly before
> sending.

mod_negotiation does that for you.  The docs explain it.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/