httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Thomas Johansson" <tcjoh...@riseup.net>
Subject [users@httpd] cannot access sites through "localhost" on development computer
Date Thu, 12 Mar 2009 00:22:47 GMT
Hello,

I am having a problem and wonder if someone could help.

I am using Apache 2.2 installed on my laptop for site development
purposes with PHP (on Windows Vista). Normally, in order to see my
sites, I just open my web browser (either IE or Firefox), then type
http://localhost in the address field, which takes me to my C:/Inetpup
folder (where I keep my various site folders and PHP scripts).

However, since a few days back, when I type http://localhost, all I
get (on both IE and Firefox) is an error message (Page not be found
etc.).

The same thing happens if I try to access a specific site or site page
directly (e.g. http://localhost/some site folder/index.php).

In my Apache documentation, I read somewhere that I could instead try
http://127.0.0.1. And when I do so, it works fine (i.e. I get to my
Inetpub folder and can see my web sites and their pages and work as
normal).
According to the same documentation, this would suggest that I "have
serious DNS problems", but it does not say what I need to do to fix
it. And I cannot find the answer anywhere on the Apache site either.

So, if anyone would anyone have any idea of what is wrong and what I
need to do to fix this problem, I would be really grateful.

(Perhaps reinstall Apache? Wouldn't this mess up my PHP installation...?)

Thanks,

Thomas