httpd-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Sean Hilton <ch...@vindaloo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] SSLv3 / TLSv1 question
Date Mon, 30 Mar 2009 03:18:52 GMT
Good day,

I'm trying to understand some behavior that I see from Apache 2.2. We
are using apache and tomcat to serve an extranet site. When running on
Windows XP connect they either use SSLv3 or TLSv1. What I'm seeing is
that when the TCP receive window is set to XP's default of 65535
bytes. The client uses SSLv3 and he connection to our webpage, A user
report that's about 4.4 MBytes, fails. On the other Hand, If I tune
the TCP receive window with a program like DRTCP to be 131 KBytes, The
clients negotiate TLSv1 and the connection works.

Why does the connection use SSLv3 with the smaller TCP Rwin size?

Why does the connection use TLSv1 with the larger Rwin size?

Why does the SSLv3 connection fail?

-- Chris

--
Chris Hilton                                   chris-at-vindaloo-dot-com