httpd-users mailing list archives

From Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Websphere / Apache similarities
Date Tue, 03 Mar 2009 16:23:36 GMT
On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 10:57 AM, André Warnier <aw@ice-sa.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> This is posted both to the Apache httpd and Tomcat user lists.
>
> I am taking on a project for which, on the customer side, the installed
> HTTP-related software consists of (in the customer's words) "IBM Websphere
> 6.1 and the corresponding IBM webserver".
>
> Does anyone on this list have any knowledge of these, in particular their
> "compatibility/similarity" with respectively Tomcat v ? and Apache httpd v ?

WebSphere Application Server is not related to Tomcat, except that
they implement some of the same standard.

IBM HTTTP Server is  Apache HTTP Server-based with notable difference
of SSL (runtime and module). Versions 6.x are based on 2.0.x and 7.0
is based on 2.2

> My applications make heavy usage, under Apache httpd, of mod_perl 2.x and
> several Apache modules like mod_rewrite, mod_setenvif and mod_jk.
> The Tomcat side is less critical, as it consists only of a couple of simple
> servlets and servlet filters, which should I suppose not create a major
> issue.

mod_jk would be replaced by the websphere plugin
mod_perl you'd have to provide yourself and may take a little effort
to build against IHS.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com